Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Possibly My Last Blog on this, but I'll keep the keys.

What I have always liked about radio streaming is that the prices are continually going down. An old smart phone can be purchased at a pawn shop or on a black Friday. I have a Microsoft phone I got for 5 dollars at a pawn shop and an new android a purchased at Christmas for 10 dollars. With the Tune in app, I heart app and a web link to vtuner I can pull in the world and quite a lot of faith based radio. This does posit I have a wifi signal to use them with, as they are not on cell service. I have always gone at this hobby on the "cheap." Lately the little Amazon Alexei is the easiest tool to listen to the web with.  I bought my last early version of this for about 19 dollars. Since a lot of stations are on Iheart radio you can simply ask about a station by its call letters and if I heart does not have it, tune in might. I believe this little hockey puck sized item might have more people listening and streaming radio at home. As my favorite stations are on those two outlets most of my listening around the house is on this little guy. Sound is pretty good. Apparently she can also be trained to get to other stations with a few commands. Now this is a wifi device and the user will need unlimited wifi or just monitor there usage. Sadly this is the last bridge for us to cross in radio. While streaming is great and you can listen to virtually any station on an android phone or this device, you have to have the internet. This is why I am a huge proponent of FM in cell phones and radio in general. Yep I know there are music purest out there that have sworn off radio, but, hey its free and cheap. I urge everyone to explore their local FM and AM dial wherever they find themselves. Neat thing, if you find a station that is a little messy you can go and call up call signs or a frequency on Google and find a stream of it. I have monitored some great stations that way.
Honestly I am amazed where this hobby has taken me too. Back in the day (yep I've used this blog for 8 years.) you had to have a computer with a good sound program to stream. That was challenging with dial up in some places going very slow. Any one remember 56,000 baud and slower speeds. We would find big quick setups and marvel at live radio coming through the speakers, ok maybe it was just me. As connections sped up internet radios appeared. As usual I went bargain basement and got Aluretek streaming tuner. I was great sounding when hooked up to speakers or my stereo. It ended up paired with one of the first portable HD radios I still have. I was digital on wifi and net right next to my bed where I listen when sleep escapes me.
Image result for aluratek internet tunerThis little unit is still alive and tunes stations found on V-tuner page.Lots of stations still list on this. As this was coming together cell phones with blue tooth or just a corded hookup to a vehicle began to be very common and prices like, most electronic fell. Eventually I had an old android and no problem loading I Hear Media and Tune In, or stations individual jump off to a stream. A few years ago any one with a decent cell phone could listen to the world with the right cell phone plan. As I write this a cheap Samsung (lower than 40) bucks is pushing a pair of cheapy plug up speakers and I am listening to an internet station from Houston. Later I would try this theory out and buy a Windows phone for 5 dollars that would not work on a cell network to use as my internet receiver for a vintage stereo set up in my home office. It works fine with a chip of music and still can be used to pick up a few streams.             Also streaming has exploded on TV. Personally I am a ROKU fan. This little box is availiable for under 50 dollars and if you do not subscribe to anything, there is a world of radio that can be streamed to your TV. I have mine hooked to an old stereo and stations sound pretty good.

         When I set out to unite my too favorite interest of Christians broadcasting and Radio there was a bit to say about technology and some favorite Christians stations. If you are a believer or looking into Jesus Christian radio is alive with beautiful music and ministry.  For music I have always pointed people to KSBJ.org for teaching KHCB.org is a good place. If you have bothered to read this far I would urge you too read the earlier post and see how streaming and this genre of Christian broadcasting has developed over this last decade.
               As I sit here at the start of 2020, I am not sure this is my last article. Cell phones have become pretty standard, blue tooth is pretty much on any audio device and consumers tend to understand this world better than playing an old CD or a vinyl record, which I do from time to time. If I do post again I will update social media. If you have questions or comments please reach out to me at scotttalbert1963@gmail.com.

Scott Talbert, happy streaming and blessings.

PS To all my audio-file and High end streamers. I really am not worried about streaming quality. It has gotten way better over the years. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment